Senegal President declares public holiday after AFCON 2025 victory

0
14

Senegal President Bassirou Diomaye Faye has declared Monday a paid public holiday in celebration of the nation’s triumph at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

The announcement was made shortly after Senegal defeated host nation Morocco in a dramatic and controversial final to lift their second AFCON title. President Faye said the holiday would allow all Senegalese citizens to fully participate in nationwide celebrations, describing the victory as a moment of deep national pride.

Addressing the nation on state broadcaster RTS, the President called for unity and dignity as the country marks the historic achievement.

“This Monday will be considered a paid public holiday. Senegalese people will celebrate. Then we must welcome the Lions properly and congratulate them,” he said.

Senegal’s latest success adds to their first AFCON triumph in Cameroon in 2022 and further reinforces their reputation as one of Africa’s football powerhouses. The victory highlights the consistency and strength of a generation of players who have maintained Senegal’s dominance on the continental stage.

President Faye’s swift declaration is widely seen as an effort to turn the football achievement into a broader symbol of national unity, while also honouring the dedication and resilience of the players and technical team.

The final itself was high on tension and controversy. The match was temporarily halted deep into added time when Moroccan referee Jean-Jacques Ndala awarded the hosts a penalty following a VAR review of a challenge on Brahim Diaz by El Hadji Malick Diouf. The decision sparked strong protests from Senegalese players and fans, especially after an earlier goal by Ismaila Sarr had been disallowed for a foul moments earlier.

Diaz stepped up to take the penalty but failed to convert, with Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy calmly saving the attempted Panenka after a lengthy delay.

With the score still level, the match went into extra time at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium. Senegal seized the momentum, and Gueye struck in the 94th minute to secure a famous win, silencing over 66,000 Moroccan supporters in attendance.

The dramatic victory triggered celebrations across Senegal, setting the stage for a heroes’ welcome for the AFCON champions.

THANK YOU for always reading our stories. Kindly like, comment, and share our posts across all social media platforms for more exciting updates.

Do you have exclusive news or content to promote? Call or WhatsApp our Editor on

+233 208 291 107 / 0241 437 833 for massive promotion. You can also send your stories or articles to fuzzygh2016@gmail.com and they will be published on www.xpressghonline.com.

Stay connected with Xpress GH Online for authentic and trending updates.

LEAVE A REPLY